Monday, September 20, 2010

August Vow Progress

With only a few days left before the September full moon, I've looked back at how well I did with not wasting food.

I may have missed a couple things, but here's a list of what I ended up throwing away.
  • 3 peaches, they were in the fridge shriveling up. I was hoping they'd dehydrate themselves down to something like a date so I wouldn't have to toss them, but in the end they started to get the wrong kind of fuzz.
  • 1 serving of the chilled peach and yogurt soup that I made my girlfriend after she had her wisdom teeth out. She didn't really like it and I ran out of stuff to do with it so it just kind of sat there until I got the courage to take the top off and throw it out. I think there was a high enough culture count from the yogurt that it may have still been okay to eat since it didn't smell bad or anything, but I didn't want to take the risk.
  • a small bunch of grapes, they were probably on their way out when I made the vow, but whatever.
  • a little leftover polenta. We ate as much as we could, but I don't think I cooked it enough so it was a little difficult to eat.
That's not too bad. The only problem I had was I found myself eating more than I probably should have been to keep stuff from going bad. That's alright though, because it gave me inspiration for this next month.

Here's a couple food saving facts if you think something is getting close.
  • obviously, you can throw things in the freezer. Just don't forget they're in there.
  • hard boiled eggs get easier to peel, the older they are (to a point). Boiling them will give them about another week of opportunities to eat them. also, adding a couple teaspoons of vinegar to the water and shocking them in ice water after they're cooked help make them easier to peel.
  • right before milk goes bad, you can use it to make yogurt. You just need a little yogurt and a recipe off the internet and it'll keep a lot longer. Plus you won't have to buy yogurt.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, I did not know the tip about re-boiling eggs. Another idea to keep from "wasting" food is to use a worm bin to compost things that are starting to go bad. You can't feed them citrus or onions, or anything dairy or meat-based or that has oil in it, but pretty much any other fruit or vegetable matter, even if it is rotting, is ok. Tea bags, coffee grounds, and ground-up eggshells are also good for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in an apartment, so the idea is out. If I had a house though...

    Now that I read that sentence, it's a little unclear. The older the eggs are when you hard boil them, the easier they are to peel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! and thanks for reading/commenting!

    ReplyDelete